Thursday, September 17, 2009

Madame's Political Science Lesson



Today marked the 222nd anniversary of the signing of the United States Constitution. The two Constitutional law professors, the Great Opologizer and Vice President Hair Plugs, that we have leading our great nation did indeed declare today Constitution Day and Citizenship Day. What article outlines the role of the executive branch, Mr. Biden? However, the Great Opologizer spent much of today trying to perfect his President Carter imitation. Peanut farmer, ACORN leader--it's all nuts, I tell you!

Madame wrote a nice, concise Facebook post about the Constitution:
“The Constitution of the United States was created by the people of the United States composing the respective states, who alone had the right.” - James Madison

Today marks the 222nd anniversary of the formation and signing of our Constitution. The United States Constitution is one of the greatest founding documents in history because it charted a bold new path in the realm of political theory. Not only does the Constitution establish checks and balances within the federal government, it also divides power among the federal government, the states, and the people. The Founders understood that it is the nature of government to grow at the expense of the people’s liberty; and with that in mind, they established a form of government that would be limited in scope and power in order to maximize power to the people.

Today, let’s also take the opportunity to thank our armed forces. The weight of defending our liberty rests on their shoulders, and because of their efforts and sacrifice, we can celebrate the 222nd anniversary of the formation of our Constitution.
"The Constitution is a bold new path in the realm of political theory." It is the oldest and shortest written Constitution of any major government in the world. It does limit the power of the federal government while dividing power among state and local governments. It's this crazy little thing called federalism, Mr. President. Madame and Thomas Jefferson know a little bit about this thing called federalism as also re-emphasized in the 10th amendment.

My press secretary is from the Great Opologizer's home state of Illinois, and she told me that the Illinois state motto is "state sovereignty, national union". This is a concept completely lost on President Obama.

Madame also emphasized, " [t]he Founders understood that it is the nature of government to grow at the expense of the people’s liberty; and with that in mind, they established a form of government that would be limited in scope and power in order to maximize power to the people". It sounds like Madame understands the ninth amendment. Madame knows that it was self-determination and rugged individualism that founded this country, and it is self-determination and rugged individualism that must sustain this country.

As always, Madame took time to thank the troops. I know that she is especially excited that her favorite soldier is due home this weekend.

Although Madame did not explicitly mention the first two amendments in today's post, I know that she is particularly fond of these two amendments.

She took the time to emphasize the time in her Farewell speech to emphasize two rights mentioned in the First Amendment:
Together we stand with gratitude for the troops who protect all our cherished freedoms. This includes our First Amendment guaranteed freedom of speech – which, par for the course – I shall exercise. First, with some “straight talk,” I will address some, just some, in the media because another right that is protected is the freedom of the press. You have such important jobs reporting facts and informing the electorate and exerting power to influence. You represent what could and should be a respected and honest profession that could and should be a cornerstone of our democracy. Democracy depends on you. That is why our troops are willing to die for you. So, how about in honor of the American soldier you quit making things up. And don’t underestimate the wisdom of the American people.

In one of our first Facebook posts, she took the opportunity to stand up for Carrie Prejean's freedom of speech.

Finally, just for kicks, I would like to compare and contrast Madame exercising her second amendment rights and First Lady Obama exercising her second amendment rights. Let's just say they interpret this amendment a little bit differently.


Madame exercising her right to bear arms



First Lady Obama exercising
her right to bare arms

9 comments:

bestbud said...

WHITNEY

It's late but Im thankful I checked my computer... I don't know how you guys do It but am sure happy you do the things you do.
Pointed, Factual, Knowledgeable, Inspiring... yet .. Entertaining and Funny.

What can be said?.... top of the night to you!

thirtynine said...

What a wonderful comparison for our 2nd Amendment! LOTUS, you are one lucky laptop!

Sapwolf said...

Dear LOTUS,

My desktop computer, Johnny, has been depressed all day. He has crashed 3 times and I am going nuts.

You see the problem is that he has a close friend on the internet from Poland named Minka, a desktop computer. When Minka found out about our President bailing out on her country's missle defense, she really let poor Johnny have it. She said she never wants to talk to him again and that his country betrayed her.

I know you and Madame have so much work and so little time, but please if you find even a minute, can you send out an encouraging post to Facebook, even a short one to let Minka and the other Poles know that she, Madame, has not forgotten them?

It would make all the difference.

Sincerely your biggest fan in Ohio
(based on SarahPAC donations),


Sapwolf

hrh said...

Great stuff, LOTUS. TOTUS can't possibly compete. Thanks!

kjanlady said...

Whitney,

Another great post. I'm sure Sarah reads your efforts and loves them as all who love her do.

Do you think you could send a copy of the video to the WH and Congress.

Also send Michelle your photos complete with captions. I have no respect for this USA hater.

Jennifer said...

Lotus,

I love your comparison of second amendment rights SP vs. MO.

You are correct; very different interpretation by these two people.

Keep up the good work!

Anonymous said...

Whitney-
Yup, sang the Preamble in 5th grade with ukulales. :)

ok, I'm not sure whether you want to see this, but I made up a story about LOTUS and Madame.
If you don't like it, that's fine, but it's the story on how Madame and LOTUS first met.

Enjoy (I hope??)



Madame 45 was typing away on me, as she usually does. Sometimes it gets tiring, but most of the time it was thrilling, as usually I ask the question- “What are we going to write about next?”
Always something good.
Until today, whereas I became confused.
WAIT- WHAT? I asked, my words flashing across my screen (she knows then I’m talking to her).
“It’s Constitution Day LOTUS- I thought you knew that,” Madame 45 said.
CONSTITUTION DAY?
“Did you even look at the date?”
MY DATABASE DIDN’T NOTICE ANYTHING ABOUT THE 17TH OF SEPTEMBER.
Madame 45 sighed. “Were you even awake this morning?”
NO. I DIDN’T HAVE MY JAVASCRIPT YOU KNOW.
Madame 45 set her jaw in a firm line. “I rest my case.”
WHAT IS CONSTITUTION DAY? I asked.
“It’s the day that our founders signed the framework for our country. It’s a very important document that spells out what the three branches are and what they do.”
AH. SO, IT’S LIKE, WELL, REALLY IMPORTANT.
Madame 45 nodded. “Very.” She started typing again.
Again, I interrupted her.
BUT WAIT- ISN’T THERE PARADES OR SOMETHING?
“It’s not exactly the Fourth.” She took off her glasses, fogged them up, and rubbed the lenses on her t-shirt. “So there aren’t parades or fireworks or anything.”
ISN’T IT MORE IMPORTANT THOUGH?
“Well, more or less. In my opinion it’s better, because the framework is actually laid out for our country. We start building the rules that day.”
SO IT’S REALLY IMPORTANT.
Madame 45 smiled. “In my opinion, it is.”
I thought about the info she just told me and scanned it into my hard drive. I PROBABLY SHOULD TELL TOTUS I said thoughtfully.
“You can- after I finish typing this and putting it out on Facebook.”
BUT I WANT TO DO IT NOW! I cried.
“LOTUS…” Madame 45 said warningly.
I gulped. SORRY MADAME.
She smiled and kept typing.
A couple minutes later, with shifting of positions on the couch, she clicked “Post”.
THANK GOODNESS.

(continued)

Anonymous said...

(continued)

“Did you really want me to finish that bad?
 YES.
Madame rolled her eyes. “Funny.”
I JUST WANT TO EMAIL TOTUS I said.
“Go ahead- just make sure it’s VERY CLEAR and hopefully he’ll understand,” teased Madame.
LIKE THE TIME YOU DIDN’T UNDERSTAND ME?
“Like the time I first met you?” Madame rolled her eyes again (she does that a lot, especially at liberals). “You practically made me think I’m insane, talking to a laptop.
I smiled. I REMEMBER THAT WELL.


December 16, 2008
One month, fourteen days after Election Day

As soon as someone opened my lid, it was a match made for heaven (but really, I didn’t know it at the time.)
I saw this woman staring at my screen in Best Buy.
“It’s perfect,” she said, turning to the man next to her. “This is the one.”
First of all, I didn’t have almost any interactions with humans, so I was quite insulted when she called me an “it”. Laptops (and other electronics) have sensitive memories, so I was sure that insult would not be forgotten.
I was taken that same day.
That night, she was setting me up, getting of rid of all the crap/junk that clogs up my hard drive and makes it hard to breathe.
“Oh, Todd, I love it. Thank you so much,” she said as she kissed him.
Go get a room, I thought.
Plus, she said “it” again.

A couple of days later, she booted me up again. I wasn’t sure if I wanted to talk to her, so I didn’t, staying quiet. Suddenly, I think one of her kids cried out so she got up and went outside to see what the matter was.
I went ahead and went on the internet, and to my surprise, a picture of my owner it seemed was front-page news! I couldn’t believe it. Was it possible that my owner, the human lady that called me “it” with no respect for electronics, was the vice-president candidate for the Republican Party?
I needed proof.
Turns out that she was forty-five, had five kids, and lived in Alaska. Whoa, I thought, my owner is, like, famous!
I had to speak to her.
When she came back, I prepared myself.
HI, I said.

Anonymous said...

(continued)

She scrunched her eyebrows. “Huh? Who’s IM-ing me?”
NOBODY IS IM-ING YOU, OWNER.
She shook her head. “Wait, what?”
YOU ARE MY OWNER. THIS IS YOUR LAPTOP SPEAKING TO YOU.
“No, no!” She pinched herself. “This is not real!”
IT IS. AND FOR THE RECORD, I AM NOT AN “IT”.
She stared at me for about a minute, and then shook her head.
“Can you hear me?” she asked timidly.
YES. THROUGH MY SPEAKERS.
She scrunched her eyebrows again. “Ok, this is really weird.”
SORRY- MRS. PALIN.
“Huh?”
AREN’T YOU SARAH PALIN, THE VICE PRESIDENT CANIDATE FOR THE REPUBLICAN PARTY AND CURRENT GOVERNOR OF ALASKA?
She nodded.
I THOUGHT SO. I WASN’T SURE SO I LOOKED YOU UP ON WIKIPEDIA, I explained.
“Oh.”
I’M VERY HUMBLED TO BE YOUR LAPTOP. BUT PLEASE, DON’T CALL ME AN “IT”- THERE ARE GIRL LAPTOPS AND BOY LAPTOPS FYI.
“Like who?”
TOTUS. THE TELEPROMPTER OF THE UNITED STATES. OBAMA’S FRIEND.
“Wow,” she said a little timidly.
CAN I CALL YOU MADAME 45? I blurted, out of the blue.
“I- I guess so.”
THANK YOU MADAME.
Madame smiled for the first time. “You’re welcome- LOTUS. I shall call you LOTUS.”



Well, what did you think?
Did you like?
Please let me know! :)
-Jane